Monday, January 29, 2007

Life and DNRs

Hello everyone,
I have finally stolen a moment to work on my blog and tell you about my life. So here is what's new: I'm taking two classes this semester Practice Management and Educational Audiology, I have an internship two days a week at the IHC Hearing and Balance Center in SLC, and I'm almost in the black as far as those wedding thank you notes are concerned. Today I have been exteremely productive working on my capstone and paying back library fines for books I never read. This is because I allow friends and family to use my University library account. I will be sad to see this account go once I graduate as it gives me access to USU's library, U of U's library and BYU's library.

Also here is my response to Erin Umbriaco's question of how I feel about end of life issues. I personally don't understand when keeping someone alive via machine truly comes into play. Such as when it must be done and how it is done. But here is my 'take'.

I am an organ donor so if being kept on machine means someone else can use my heart, kidneys, etc. then turn on the pump or whatever. I also am entering a time in my life where I may consider having children and I'm not sure if being kept alive by a machine may save my child. If I were pregnant and got in a car accident or something I would support my being kept alive via machine if that would mean my child could be born healthy. SO I would like to say that there is no blanket statement that can cover how I feel about it, each situation would be different. I think Jon would have to ask himself what that machine was keeping me alive for, if it was just for the sake of staying alive to prolong grief I would say thats probably not worth it. I do think that regardless of your feelings you should let your loved ones know, in a legal written way. Doing this may seem morbid but it prevents endless grief for your family. Hope this answers your question Erin.

Hope to write more soon!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Why is your blog called 'The Cheese Stands Alone...Yes, Alone'???

The Fusselman's said...

Amy - Is "The Cheese Stands Alone" a book? When I was in High School I had to read a book that was about a kid who was all alone and I know that it had the name Cheese in the title. I really liked it, but I cannot remember what it is called!!!