Sunday, June 15, 2008

The bite that bugs me

Or....the bug that bit me? Hi everyone, as you can see lately something is attempting to eat me alive. Some of you may remember this happened last year....I had one or two bites from what I thought was some random 'Arizona Bug'. I then later found a spider in my office which I smashed...and killed. I felt victorious and my battle with AZ vermin had been completed. Or so I thought. As of Thursday the 12th of June I had zero bites and was oblivious to any office companions. By the time I got home Friday (note Fri. the 13th, how did I not expect something?) I had 8 bites. The general consensus is that they are from another spider. Jon remains bite free, although this year one of my coworkers also has bites. SO either last years smashing not quite as successful as I thought and lone spider has been lying in wait or he had some friends who wanted revenge. So I now have a series of itching, growing, hard, red bites. I also am armed with a large can of spider killer which will be used in my office ASAP.

On a lighter note no bugs in our new garden and despite it being 108 deg. the plants are doing fairly well. This is great news along with the news that monsoon should start early this year. The 'rules' for official monsoon season are that the dew point must be 55 or more. Several days ago it was again over 100 deg and the dewpoint was 29...life seemed hopeless. HOWEVER, today the dewpoint is 45! This means our plants have a good chance because the warmest part of the year is almost over. It also hopefully means that spiders everywhere will go back outside.

SO all in all some good news from our neck of the woods today. Although if you know something better than benadryl and calamine...let me know.

4 comments:

Jim said...

OUCH. Bad Spider! Will ask around for advice, perhaps the FAA doc will have an idea.

Dad

Dan's Mom said...

OUCH. I've noticed several spiders in the apartment too. I think they don't like the heat (any more than we do).
I need to alert the managment to have the Pest Control guy come back to spray again. That and the bottom of my shoe should do the trick! Aunt Patsy

Dan's Mom said...

OUCH. I've noticed several spiders in the apartment too. I think they don't like the heat (any more than we do).
I need to alert the managment to have the Pest Control guy come back to spray again. That and the bottom of my shoe should do the trick! Aunt Patsy

Astra M. said...

Hello Amy!

I am sorry to hear about the spiders, but I am glad that I stumbled across your blog page! How are you doing? This is Astra Eatmon from high school, if you don't know who I am(the different last name still throws me even though it has been 3 years!)I hope Arizona is going well other than the spiders!
Astra E. Morris
astraemorris@yahoo.com